1/26/11

For the Nay-Sayers

I know you are out there....
I have encountered some of you, had conversations with some of you, and yet felt the strong sense of disapproval from others...
This post is for you.

The single-most important thing in my life is my relationship with my God and Father. He has extended grace to me in ways that I cannot even understand. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23 I deserve death ~ and yet He has given me life. "...I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:10. My life is full. I am blessed. I am content. And yet I strive to live in a way that pleases my Heavenly Father more and more each day. Not because my obedience will save me - only belief in Jesus Christ can do that - but because I love Him and I desire to live the way He has shown me. Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them." John 14:23 I am no longer satisfied to live a comfortable faith that the world tells me is right. The WORD tells me what is right and I am choosing to follow what it says. Not according to our culture or what is "popular Christianity" but radical obedience based on love. I have been challenged and I have accepted the challenge. I will mess up. I will fail. But I will try...because I love Him who has first loved me.

I am a wife and a mother and I count myself blessed for it. I am the keeper of my home and responsible (to my own humanly limitations) for guarding the hearts and minds of my children. I am responsible for educating them in God's way ~ not the ways of the world (or the government for that matter). These commands that I give you today are to be upon your heart. "Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Deuteronomy 6:6-7.

There is no other job or thing in the whole world that is more important OR more rewarding than what I am doing now. I am not perfect and I do not do my job perfectly. I mess up. I fail. But I trust that my Heavenly Father will make up the difference.

I assure you, this is foreign territory for me. I was raised to be career oriented. I am well-educated and licensed as a Registered Nurse. I had a successful career as a military nurse and helped many women and families and families while I was there. I made my own money and spent it when and where I wanted to. And yet...I consider these things to be rubbish compared to the life I have been given. "But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ..." Philippians 3:7-8.

There is not a beloved person out there who needs my nursing skills or my compassion or my time more than my husband and children need me at home. There is not an understanding of self-worth or excellent career to be gained ("What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul?" Matthew 17:26) that can compare to knowing that my husband has full confidence in me (Proverbs 31:11) and my children are walking in the truth. "I have no greater joy than to know that my children are walking in the truth." 3 John 1:4

My words are not meant to be harsh, I speak them out of love. That you would understand who I am and what is important to me. That you would not worry for me or be disappointed that who I am is not who I used to be. I am a work in progress. "...that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6

And for my sisters' in Christ who may understand where I am coming from...press on towards the goal. Your reward is waiting for you in Heaven ~ where we will rest and fellowship and be lavished in the Love of our Savior. It will be a glorious day!

"But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. “Do not fear their threats
; do not be frightened.” But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. " 1 Peter 3:14-16

Shalom, Leah


3 comments:

Hi, I'm Alysha -But you can call me Lysh said...

Wow, Leah!!! Wow!!!! That was beautiful, powerful, moving & chilling all in one! I've been stuggling latley..been overwhelmed & I know I haven't been leaning/trusting/glorifing my Savior the way I'm to be. Thank you for this post..I think He meant it just for me. I've been in the process of reading a book called radical & it calls us to the challenge of 'radical obediance' to Him. I too am in the process (always) of being refined in the blood of my Lord. So wish you were here..Miss you sweet sis & yay for you! God has indeed given us the best & most important job on this earth. Love you much, ♥ lysh

pathoflife said...

That was just AWESOME!!!!!! Well said!!! There is only one we need to please and obey, and that is Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and you are doing just that!!! Thanking God for connecting our paths. Iron Sharpens Iron (proverbs 27:17)!!!! :-)

Christy said...

Amen, sister!!! Awesome and well said!!