8/21/10

An Update of Sorts...

Since my last post, I have driven over 7,000 miles. Impressive, huh? OK maybe not. But add the fact that there were 3 children under the age of 6 in the car at least half of those miles were just me and them - I am considering it impressive.

So we rewind. May brought warmer weather and garden planting. June wrapped up the end of our first year of homeschooling, Vacation Bible School, a visit from a dear family friend, my husband's birthday and a call from my parents that my grandfather's health was failing fast. You know the call - if you want to see him again you need to make some travel arrangements. That left 2 options...$4,500 in plane tickets or start driving. So we did. Just me and the kids. 2,600 miles. We drove 600 miles per day. We used the DVD player. We stopped at hotels that had a pool and a continental breakfast. My dad was gracious enough to fly to Chicago to meet us and help up drive the rest of the way in to Maryland. We made it. And just in time. (If you are considering driving from Chicago to the Eastern Shore of Maryland in one day with 3 small children in the car...reconsider. It was a long day.)

The kids saw my grandfather (affectionately known as Pop-Pop) one time before he was too sick for them to see. I was able to spend one night at his bedside before he died - I shared the gospel with him one last time and asked him some questions about his faith. He was able to answer yes and no questions and after praying with him...I am certain that he is with Jesus right now. Thank you Lord for your sweet assurance. Pop-pop passed away on July 4th. He had a really good view of the fireworks that night...and the Orioles actually won a game in honor of him (I am sure that was it cause they can't win a game when they try).

The next week was the hustle and bustle of funeral arrangements and time with family. Just as we were hoping to turn our trip into a vacation we got a terrible phone call - my in-laws were flying their single engine plane from Colorado Springs to their home in San Diego when their plane crashed. They were outside a small town in New Mexico. My father-in-law sustained severe injuries and was transported to the local hospital for surgery. My mother-in-law was life-flighted to U. of New Mexico hospital with multiple would and TBI (traumatic brain injury). She has been in a coma since the crash. My husband flew from Montana to New Mexico early the next morning. I tried to make arrangements to meet him there - but he told me to stay put. He didn't want me driving back across the country under the circumstances. So we waited. Days passed and my mother-in-laws condition waxed and waned. Some doctors thought things were hopeful...others disagreed. On June 29th they were able to transport her via helicopter to a facility in San Diego so she would be closer to home. At that point - we all headed home. My mom was kind (or crazy) enough to drive as far as Denver with us....which is where we met my husband and he drove us the rest of the way home. Boy were the kids glad to see their daddy. We had been away from home for 5 weeks.

Fast forward to the end of August and we are home...harvesting the little bit of garden that survived the cold Montana summer and the lack of care it received from us being gone. Surprisingly - we have harvested quite a bit of zucchini and green beans. We will also have tomatoes and pumpkins before the cold takes over (I hope). We also celebrated Joshua's 5th birthday last week and started school. Joshua has been dying to start "real school" when he turned 5...so we decided to dive in. So far so good.

My mother-in-law remains in a coma. We are praying desperately for her to wake-up. None of us are ready to lose her. I can't begin to tell you the number of times we have gone to pick up the phone and call her...for a recipe or to tell her the latest hysterical thing that Nicole has said...only to put down the phone and cry. The grand kids need their Grandma. Please Lord, wake her up! Not our will though ~ but Yours Lord. You can keep up with her condition on her Caring Bridge Website

I am working on a post right now that has been brewing in my head for days...just figured I better update ya'll before I hit you with some heavy theological thinking :)

Many blessings,
Leah

4 comments:

Christy said...

Thanks for all your work on the Caring Bridge and facebook update pages. You have done such a great job with both! What an incredibly overwhelming summer. I am so sorry about your grandfather, but rejoice with you that God used you so instrumentally in his hearing and receiving the gospel. Love you girl!

Kady said...

So touching to hear the story of your night by your grandfather's bed. What an emotional and exhausting summer you have all had! Still praying for Robin's mom like crazy. I pray you can rest as you embark on this school year. Miss you!!

Angela said...

That is quite a summer. 7k miles?

Do you guys have grasshoppers up in Shelby? Every year they eat more of my garden then I would like...

Angela said...

oh and I meant to ask...

Are you guys ever down this way?